1.Explain the distinctions between a leader and a manager.
2. Which is more important: working for a good leader or a good manager? Explain your response.
3. Pay attention to the nurse manager in a unit where students have been assigned. What kind of management style is exhibited? What is the staff’s reaction to this style?
4. What characteristics do you believe are most important in a good nurse manager?
1. Meet with the nurse manager of your assigned unit. On a daily basis, what interpersonal, decisional, and informational activities does he or she engage in?
2. You are the unit’s nurse manager. One of the most experienced employees has been on sick leave, and another has recently given birth. The remainder of the staff is working extremely hard to pick up the slack in order to avoid using agency personnel. What tangible and intangible rewards could you use to thank your employees?